Uponor (pronounced OOP-uh-nor) manufactures a flexible plastic tubing called PEX, an acronym for crosslinked polyethylene, which is used in its plumbing, fire sprinkler and radiant floor heating/ cooling systems. If you’re familiar with copper or CPVC pipe for plumbing, you might be surprised to know that PEX is now installed more often in new-home construction than copper and CPVC combined. This is because of the extreme durability and cost-effectiveness of PEX. PEX resists corrosion, pitting and scaling and, due to its extreme flexibility, PEX can actually expand up to three times its original diameter, making it the most freeze-resistant piping available. And because it’s not made from metal, PEX eliminates concerns of dangerous lead and other metals in a plumbing system.
Proven More than 40 years of use in structures around the world. Reliable Won’t pit, scale or corrode like copper; most freeze-resistant piping available today. Leak-resistant connections Industry’s quickest, easiest connection system with instant visual verification; no chemicals, open flame or gauges required. Quiet Greatly reduces water hammer and noise from fluid transmission. Guaranteed Backed by a 25-year limited warranty on Uponor AquaPEX® tubing and ProPEX® fittings.
Uponor manufactures Engelmethod PEX-a tubing. The PEX tubing industry considers this tubing superior because the crosslinking is done during the manufacturing process when polyethylene is in its amorphic state (above the crystalline melting point). Because of this, the degree of crosslinking reaches around 85%, resulting in a more uniform product with no weak links in the molecular chain.
AquaPEX Blue Lengths
1/2”x20’ • 3/4”x20’
Engineered Polymer (EP) Fittings
EP is a broad term covering proven, high-performance polymers (with or without fillers or reinforcements), which have mechanical, chemical and thermal properties suitable for demanding applications. Proven for over 15 years in plumbing applications, EP is used in installations that require the highest level of confidence, reliability and trust.
Benefits of EP Fittings and the ProPEX® Connection Method:
• Resists high chlorine levels
• Resists ultraviolet light
• Millions of fittings in service
• No dangerous torches or smelly solvents and primer
• Holds tight in strength tests at 1,000 pounds of pull tension (2,900 pounds for 2" fitting)
• Resists corrosion, pitting, scaling and other issues associated with metal system components
• Visual system confirms tight connections and eliminates guesswork — can’t be dry fit like other fitting systems
• Easily withstands hot and cold temperatures and high pressures well above the ASTM standard
• Combines with Uponor AquaPEX tubing to offer a completely clean, healthy and all-plastic plumbing system — releasing the need for costly metals
Lead-Free Brass Fittings
Drop Ear 90